Just a few short thoughts on what I’m going to try and cover on this blog as and when time permits and to invite any thoughts:
This is mainly a ‘to do’ list for me, however please leave a comment if you’d like me to bash together thoughts on any other aspect of policing which involves mental health issues … there are loads more, but these will be the priority:
- Liaison and diversion in custody for criminal suspects who are mentally ill.
- The prosecution of psychiatric (in)patients
- The police and ‘Crisis Intervention Training’
- s136 Mental Health Act – parts 2 and 3
- MHA assessments on private premises s135 Mental Health Act – the challenge for AMHPs!
- AWOL patients
- Police support for the enforced medication, seclusion or transfer of patients
Finally – this doesn’t all have to be serious so I’ll thank those who have given early support to this embryonic blog by sharing the police mentalhealth song … enjoy!
Winner of the Mind Digital Media Award.
Since this blog began, the law of England and Wales, including the Codes of Practice to the Mental Health Act 1983 have been updated, several times. Always check the date of publication, displayed below; and cross-reference to current legislation and guidance when using this material as a reference guide.