On 26th March 2014, the Home Affairs Select Committee announced a new Inquiry into Policing and Mental Health, under its chairman, the Rt Hon Keith VAZ, MP. This page simply collates all the various links to written and oral evidence and I will update it with the final written report once published. It could be completed by the end of 2014, but watch this space!
They invited written submissions from individuals and organisations and published this on the 14th May ahead of taking oral evidence in various sessions over the remainder of the year. I submitted written and oral evidence to the Inquiry.
You can click the date of the session listed below to see the oral evidence on video. Links to the written transcripts are also given because the video streaming technology used by HASC does not play on all devices, in particular I can’t get it to work on iPhones or iPads!
There have been five sessions so far —
- 1st July – Matilda MacATTRAM, Director of Black Mental Health UK; Dominic WILLIAMSON, Chief Executive of Revolving Doors, Deborah COLES, Director of Inquest; Tony HERBERT and Barbara MONTGOMERY, parents of James HERBERT. (Written transcript of this session.)
- 2nd September – Inspector Michael BROWN, College of Policing. (Written transcript.)
- 21st October – Lord ADEBOWALE, Chair of the Independent Commission on Policing and Mental Health; Dr MJ TACCHI, Lead on Crisis Care, Royal College of Psychiatrists and David DAVIES, College of Paramedics. (Written transcript.)
- 28th October – Custody sergeants from Devon and Cornwall Police and Essex Police; Chief Constable Simon COLE, Leicestershire Police and Ch Supt Mark SMITH, British Transport Police. (Written transcript.)
- 11th November – Rt Hon Normal LAMB MP, Ministers of State for Care and Support; and Rt Hon Mike PENNING MP, Minister of State for Policing. (Written transcript.)
Winner of the Mind Digital Media Award.