This should cover most Frequently Asked Questions, linking you to the particular blog post which should help answer it.
CLICK THE ANSWER TO EACH QUESTION FOR A LINK TO THE MORE DETAILED BLOG.
If anyone wants anything else answered, please email me on firstname.lastname@example.org:
POLICE FAQs ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH JOBS –
- We’ve arrested someone s136 – how do we deal with it properly?
- A psychiatric inpatient has assaulted a nurse (or other patient) – can we or should we arrest them?
- An AMHP wants police support at an MHA assessment – should we go and do we need to ask for a warrant?
- A&E are asking us to arrest someone under s136 and remove them to the PoS – can we / should we do this; aren’t they a Place of Safety?!
- A detained patient has gone missing or failed to return – who is responsible for getting him back?
- An MHA patient has gone missing or failed to return – can we arrest them and can we force entry to a premises in order to do so?
- A informal patient has gone missing – can we bring him back?
- A offender in custody has been ‘sectioned’ but it’s a serious offence – what do we do?
- We’re at a job in a private place where someone is threatening suicide – what can we do?
- The NHS can’t or won’t respond to a private premises – can we use the Mental Capacity Act?
- I’m thinking about using the Mental Capacity Act – how do I decide about someone’s ‘capacity’?
- We’re being asked to restrain a patient so they can administer medication – can we / should we do this?
- We’re being asked to move a psychiatric patient from one MH unit to another – can we / should we do this?
- We’ve arrested someone from another area and the AMHPs are disputing who should do the assessment – who legal responsibility is it?
NHS / SOCIAL CARE FAQs ABOUT POLICING RESPONSES –
- < More to follow shortly. >
- I see so many different ranks of police officer and I don’t know who is in charge! – what does it all mean?
Winner of the Mind Digital Media Award.