The Paramedic Series of blogs, is specifically targetted at my colleagues in green after being developed in support of inputs I give as a visiting lecturer at the University of Worcester.
Summarised posts on the interaction between these two crucial 999 services, with links to posts which explain laws and police responses which are relevant to paramedics and technicians:
- When You Call Us
- When We Call You
- Mental Health Act / Mental Capacity Act Assessments
- Mental Capacity Act: What Does The Law Say
- The Use of Force
- What Is An AMHP?
- Is It Necessary (to instigate section 136 MHA)?
- Only Following Orders
Don’t forget three methods of using this blog to find out more:
- There is a full index of over 500 posts on all manner of topics.
- There is a series of “Quick Guides” originally intended for police officers, but some will be of interest to paramedics.
- There is a “Search” facility in the top right hand corner: any keywords on policing / mental health will bring up the relevant posts.
Update on 01st April 2015 – since writing this article, a new Code of Practice has come into effect in England. It doesn’t substantially alter these posts but reference numbers have changed from the old Code. My summary post about the new Code of Practice (2015) is here, the new Reference Guide is here and the full document is here. The Code of Practice (Wales) remains unchanged but is under revision.
The Mental Health Cop blog
– won the ConnectedCOPS ‘Top Cop’ Award for leveraging social media in policing.
– won the Digital Media Award from the UK’s leading mental health charity, Mind
– won a World of Mentalists #TWIMAward for the best in mental health blogs
– was highlighted by the Independent Commission on Policing & Mental Health
– was referenced in the UK Parliamentary debate on Policing & Mental Health
– was commended by the Home Affairs Select Committee of the UK Parliament.