This page provides the quickest route to the most used areas of the BLOG but to open up the contents page, click the small grey icon in the top right corner –
This icon, top right!
Once you’ve opened the contents, you can either select from the various sections or enter search terms to find relevant BLOGS, for example, “Section 5 MHA” –
Here are the most used areas —
- Quick Guides – a series of legal and practical summaries for operational police officers about the most important scenarios that emerge under the Mental Health and Capacity Acts.
- Policing and Crime Act Series – in 2017, the Mental Health Act will be amended and this series of posts contains various resources, summaries and commentaries on the new law relating to police powers under the MHA.
- Paramedic Series – posts written specifically for my colleagues in green about the various aspects of how these two 999 services interact with each other.
- PACE for Beginners – this series of four posts is written with non-police officers in mind and it is a guide to the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984. It hopes to provide an overview of the law of detention in police custody.
- Main Index – a full index to all the posts I’ve written, somewhat roughly categorised by the various issues I’ve covered. I will freely admit: this is no longer up to date as the blog has grown in size beyond what I originally imagined!
Since this blog began, the law of England and Wales and the Codes of Practice to the Mental Health Act 1983 have all been updated, sometimes more than once. When using this post as a reference tool, check the date of publication (displayed beneath each post) and cross-reference to the Government legislation website or current Codes of Practice.
In particular, the Mental Health Act changed on 11th December 2017, and this renders aspects of the current Codes of Practice, out of date, ambiguous or redundant.
Winner of the Mind Digital Media Award.